A homeowner’s frustration can sometimes be traced to a water leak in the home. There are many symptoms for detecting a hidden water leak and just as many causes. A hidden water leak may be hard to find and calling a plumber is a great way to start to control the situation and prevent more damage and costly repairs. Any problem in your home that has to do with a water or a water leak is a job for a Andy's Pipe Dream and a licensed, bonded and insured plumber. There are many symptoms that will help you detect if there is a water leak in your home, some are obvious and some are not so obvious. If any of these issues are evident in your home, chances are, you have a water leak.
Not so obvious water leak: • Water meter changes, even when the water is turned off and there is no water flow to any of the water aided apparatuses in the home.
• Moist or discolored areas, or soft spots in wood in walls, floors or in your baseboards.
• Warm to the touch areas on the floor, specifically if the warm area is over a concrete slab.
Very obvious water leak:
• The sound of running water, as if a toilet is running , when the toilet is not in use.
• A elevated water bill 2 months in a row.
• Bad smelling areas around the floor and/ or walls by a drain or sewer line.
• Cracks in the home’s foundation and weeds in areas where there should not be weed growth.
• Stains in ceiling or down walls.
As a homeowner you can check the following areas and appliances for a water leak in and around the:
• dishwasher • shower or tubs (not from normal use) • washing machine • water heater • under kitchen or bathroom sinks • basement walls or basement floors
What to do if you find a leak
If you discover a water leak, find any unexplained wetness or see water stains or dampness, call the experts in hidden leaks and water problems at Andy’s Pipe Dream. We are here 24/7 to help with your water leak or any plumbing problem you have.
Hidden Plumbing Leaks
Locating plumbing leaks can sometimes require expert plumbing forensics! Leaks are tricky, and they can exist for a long time without being detected which can produce damage to wood, drywall and carpet.
So how do you detect hidden plumbing leaks? How are you supposed to do anything about them if you don’t even know they exist? Following is a short list of things to look for that will help you to determine whether or not you have a hidden leak somewhere in your home:
- Your water meter reading or water bill is much higher than usual
- You hear the sound of running water, when you do not have anything turned on
- (a soft pitched sound as if a toilet is running)
- Interior flooring feels damp or wet when nothing has been spilled in the area.
- You begin to notice cracks in your foundation, grass and plants are growing unevenly around your home or you detect a shift in the earth in your yard.
- Odors emitted from floors, walls or drains (odors can be foul, musty or moldy in nature).
- Mushy spots or standing water in your yard (may indicate sprinkler system or main water service leaks)
- Stains or wet spots in your ceiling or walls.
If you do have that sinking feeling that you may have a hidden leak you are well advised to seek help from a professional plumber who specializes in leak detection. Not all plumbers are created equal. Andy’s Pipe Dream is your hidden leak expert.Starting with a masterful process of elimination, Andy’s Pipe Dream can typically narrow down the source of a leak without putting unnecessary holes in your walls, ceilings and floors. This comes with years of experience and a solid understanding of the various ways homes are plumbed.
Once a leak has been pinpointed, if it is determined that putting a hole in your wall, ceiling or floor is necessary for making the repair, don’t worry, Andy’s Pipe Dream won’t leave you with a drywall repair nightmare. We pride ourselves in recommending and scheduling highly professional drywall, ceiling and/or flooring repair experts that will show up quickly to finish the job if you don’t want to. Andy’s Pipe Dream guarantees its leak repair services too, so you don’t need to worry about the leak once it’s been repaired. We stand behind all of our work with a parts and labor warranty.
Call for Service
Kansas City Metro Area Call: 913-210-5598
Kansas City Metro
14034 W 107th St.
Lenexa, KS 66215
Hours of Operation
Monday - Saturday: 8 am - 6 pm
Emergency Service Available 24 Hours a Day / 7 Days a Week